Monday, October 2, 2017

But God,

I got an email today. 

It asked if Jason and I could speak at a senior’s morning. As I thought about this, it struck me how my response was so different than it could’ve been. So different then it would’ve been. So different except for One. 

God. 

Twelve years ago I would have reacted in horror. Me speak? No way! Of course I wouldn’t have written those words. But I sure would have thought them in my mind! And then, maybe the next day or the day after that, I would have written a nice email back signing my husband up, but politely refusing to be part of it. I did not and could not and would not speak in front of a group about anything. End of story. 

Or so I thought. 

But the story didn’t end there. 

Two little words, changed it all. 

But God. 

God, who took this fiercely stubborn, independent, yet incredibly reserved girl and slowly, step by step and little by little transformed her by His Holy Spirit. 

The results don’t lie. Only He could change this stubborn, independent girl into someone who became wholly dependent on Him. Only He could strip away my layers of shyness and reserve and fill me with a love so great for Him that my whole being brims with excitement over the thought of sharing about Him with others. 

This God who fearfully and wonderfully made me, and with His Holy Spirit living in me, continues to mold and shape me every day makes all the difference. 

I will praise Thee; for I am fearfully and wonderfully made: marvellous are Thy works; and that my soul knoweth right well. Psalm 139:14 

But now, O Lord, Thou art our Father; we are the clay, and Thou our potter; and we all are the work of Thy hand. Isaiah 64:8 

The change in me is truly a miracle. 

I need only to close my eyes and I can still feel the heat rushing over my face as the teacher in high school asked me a simple question. 

How could it be then that today, I am happy and excited and eager to say “Yes, Jason and I would be honored to talk at the Senior’s morning!” ?

Because the truth is that with men it is impossible, but with God all things are possible. 

And He said, The things which are impossible with men are possible with God. Luke 18:27 

He delights to take the foolish things in the world and amaze the wise. 

But God hath chosen the foolish things of the world to confound the wise; and God hath chosen the weak things of the world to confound the things which are mighty; 1 Corinthians 1:27 

He has loved me with an everlasting love and with loving-kindness He draws me to Himself. 

The Lord hath appeared of old unto me, saying, Yea, I have loved thee with an everlasting love: therefore with lovingkindness have I drawn thee. Jeremiah 31:3 

And I will sing of His love forever. 

I will sing of the mercies of the Lord for ever: with my mouth will I make known Thy faithfulness to all generations. Psalm 89:1 

How great is our God! 

Let your light so shine before men, that they may see your good works, and glorify your Father which is in heaven. Matthew 5:16

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Love how honest you are....and give a God the honour!

God bless you both as you speak, and also those who listen!

Love Jenny

Roelie said...

Such a beautiful testimony of how God, our Perfect Potter, molds, shapes and uses us as we cooperate with His Holy Spirit to advance His Kingdom here on earth. Thank you for sharing with us how God has made you a willing spokeswoman for Him and that all your desires go out toward Him in obedience to say 'Yes' when you are asked to speak well of Him! Blessings to you and Jason and your sons! Your posts are always so inspirational to me, Will! Keep on sharing!

With love,
Roelie