Friday, October 6, 2017

Pursue the Knowledge of God

I’ve been studying the book of Job these past weeks and am now nearing the end. The deeper I dig into the Word of God the more fascinating it is and the more I learn about God. Yet, God is so great, that we as human beings can only comprehend a small whisper of Him. 

Job 26:14 
Lo, these are parts of His ways: but how little a portion is heard of Him? but the thunder of His power who can understand? 

The New King James Version translates it like this: 
Indeed these are the mere edges of His ways, 
And how small a whisper we hear of Him! 
But the thunder of His power who can understand?” Job 26:14 

Job himself also gained a much deeper understanding about God through his trials and it was really striking to me what Job says to God in the last chapter of the book: 

Then Job answered the Lord, and said, I know that Thou canst do every thing, and that no thought can be withholden from Thee. Job 42:1 

Therefore have I uttered that I understood not; things too wonderful for me, which I knew not. Job 42:2b 

I have heard of Thee by the hearing of the ear: but now mine eye seeth Thee. Wherefore I abhor myself, and repent in dust and ashes. Job 42:5-6 

All of Job’s feelings and frustrations and even anger and confusion evaporated when God revealed Himself to Job. Instead he becomes so shaken by how great God is that he abhors himself and repents in dust and ashes. 

The same goes for us. When we pursue the knowledge of God and God reveals Himself to us by His Word and Spirit, we too become shaken by the contrast. 

Spurgeon says it so well when he writes: 
 "Note that contrast; note it always. 
 Observe how weak we are, how strong He is; 
 how proud we are, how condescending (great) He is; 
 how erring we are, and how infallible He is; 
 how changing we are, and how immutable He is; 
 how provoking we are, and how forgiving He is. 
 Observe how in us there is only ill, and how in Him there is only good. 
 Yet our ill but draws his goodness forth, and still he blesseth. 
 Oh! What a rich contrast!" 

Let us purse the knowledge of God and follow on to know the Lord. 

Then shall we know, if we follow on to know the Lord: His going forth is prepared as the morning; and He shall come unto us as the rain, as the latter and former rain unto the earth. Hosea 6:3

Thus saith the Lord, Let not the wise man glory in his wisdom, neither let the mighty man glory in his might, let not the rich man glory in his riches: But let him that glorieth glory in this, that he understandeth and knoweth Me, that I am the Lord which exercise lovingkindness, judgment, and righteousness, in the earth: for in these things I delight, saith the Lord. Jeremiah 9:23-24 

And then the more we know Him, the more our trust in Him and our love for Him grows. 

Psalm 18:1-2 
I will love thee, O Lord, my strength. 
The Lord is my rock, and my fortress, and my deliverer; 
my God, my strength, in whom I will trust; 
my buckler, and the horn of my salvation, and my high tower. 

Psalm 131 
Lord, my heart is not haughty, 
nor mine eyes lofty: 
neither do I exercise myself in great matters, 
or in things too high for me. 
Surely I have behaved and quieted myself, 
as a child that is weaned of his mother: 
my soul is even as a weaned child. 
Let Israel hope in the Lord from henceforth and for ever.

No comments: