Thursday, October 26, 2017

Obedience

Ever since moving back to Canada, the land of plenty, I’ve been struggling with my desire for pretty things. Whether it’s a new necklace, a pretty scarf, or a piece of clothing; the moment I had a little money in my hand from one of my two cleaning jobs, I had the urge to spend it. I was rightfully ashamed of this and really disliked this about myself, so I prayed and asked God to take away these desires that I had. 

But He didn’t. 

Instead He directed me to the words of Matthew 6:19-21. 
Lay not up for yourselves treasures upon earth, where moth and rust doth corrupt, and where thieves break through and steal: But lay up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where neither moth nor rust doth corrupt, and where thieves do not break through nor steal: For where your treasure is, there will your heart be also. 

As I pondered the familiar words it struck me that these words were not a suggestion but really a command. So although I didn’t necessarily feel like it, I obeyed. I made the decision to put aside half of what I earned and give it back to God. The first time it felt a little painful as there really wasn’t much left, but after a few times it began to feel natural. 

Do you know what happened? By that one step of obedience, God granted what He promised and I so desperately wanted. My heart also followed. I lost all desire and interest in frivolous things and now have more money left in my wallet at the end of the week then before, even though it’s only half of what it used to be! 

As I shared this experience with some of the ladies from one of the Bible Studies I’m part of, one of them turned and looked at me and said. “You know what? That’s just like the gospel!” After asking her to explain and then spending some time thinking about it, I could definitely see the comparison. 

You see, the gospel is really a command to believe in Jesus and we will be saved. 

But what do we do instead? We come up with all kinds of reasons and excuses how it could possibly not be that simple. 

I remember as a child, instead of believing in Jesus, I prayed for a new heart. God did not give me one then because like James 4:3a says Ye ask, and receive not, because ye ask amiss, 

For My thoughts are not your thoughts, neither are your ways My ways, saith the Lord. Isaiah 55:8 

Imagine that after Moses made the brazen serpent like God commanded him to, the Israelites' response was: “No, we won't look, we will just pray for healing instead.” Would not God have been rightfully angry with them? Why? Because that is not what He told them to do! They were to look at the brazen serpent and live and it was to be an example of Christ! 

And as Moses lifted up the serpent in the wilderness, even so must the Son of Man be lifted up: That whosoever believeth in Him should not perish, but have eternal life. Matthew 13:14-15 

And you know why people end up in hell? It’s not because they weren’t chosen or not in the Book of Life, even though that is true. It’s because they foolishly refused to obey the gospel. 

In flaming fire taking vengeance on them that know not God, and that obey not the gospel of our Lord Jesus Christ: 2 Thes 1:8 

The gospel is so simple. 

 “To believe what God says, to do what God commands, to take that salvations which God provides—this is man’s highest and best wisdom. Open your Bible. It is the pilgrim’s guide, in which God describes the glory yet to be revealed. This is the one message of the gospel, ‘Believe and live.’ Trust in the incarnate Saviour, whom God appointed to stand in the place of sinners. Trust in Him and you shall be saved.” C. Spurgeon 

And they said, Believe on the Lord Jesus Christ, and thou shalt be saved, and thy house. Acts 16:31 

And you know the amazing thing that happens when we obey the gospel? God gives us His Holy Spirit and a new heart! 

In Whom ye also trusted, after that ye heard the word of truth, the gospel of your salvation: in Whom also after that ye believed, ye were sealed with that Holy Spirit of promise, Ephesians 1:13-14 

 A new heart also will I give you, and a new spirit will I put within you: and I will take away the stony heart out of your flesh, and I will give you an heart of flesh. Ezekiel 36:26 

“The command is, “Believe and live;” attend to that, whatever else you do. Whether you feel or do not feel, cast yourself on Him, that, He may save you, and He alone.” C. Spurgeon 

Lord, I believe; help Thou mine unbelief. Mark 9:24b

No comments: