Tuesday, July 18, 2017

Homebound

July 18, 2017  

I glance down at my cellphone to check the time; 5:04 a.m.. It’s been almost 23 hours since we left our hotel in Port au Prince and we’re still not home yet. With unexpected delays in Fort Lauderdale we missed our connections to Calgary and Vancouver and were forced to overnight in Montreal. Since our new flights were scheduled to leave first thing in the morning, there was not a lot of time to sleep, but with the thought of seeing Jason and the boys again soon, sleep, or the lack thereof seems trivial. 

When my cellphone alarm buzzed at 3:45 a.m. I groggily forced myself out of bed to find the bathroom. Pushing contact lenses into bleary eyes I marvelled once again about being back in a country with drinkable tap water and clean cool air. At 4:00 a.m. we caught a shuttle to the nearby Montreal Tradeau Airport which proved to be the epitome of efficiency and class, a world apart from our Port au Prince airport experience the previous day. Trying hard not to compare I simply relished the beauty and competency of it all. 

It being Tuesday again means it’s been exactly 14 days since I stood on the sidewalk of the Vancouver International Airport waving goodbye to Jason and our boys; the boy’s sniffles and tears still ringing in my ears. Allowing myself to relive that memory, I can’t help but smile in anticipation of soon being reunited with them once again. 

These last two weeks has been a great experience of learning and growing for me as I led my first team to Haiti on my own. I definitely have gained a whole new appreciation and understanding of the work Jason does on a regular basis and with him taking on the role of both Mom and Dad while I was away I am pretty sure he has gained a new appreciation of my role as well! 

God has been so faithful during the entire trip and to Him be all the glory! 

If I had to choose a theme song for this trip it would be the hymn: Nearer, Still Nearer. 

Nearer, still nearer, close to Thy heart, 
Draw me, my Saviour – so precious Thou art! 
Fold me, oh fold me, close to Thy breast. 
Shelter me safe in that “haven of rest”. 
Lelia N. Morris

Although I didn’t have time to update our personal blog during out trip, like I had hoped, I did write notes in my journal and now that I have some time left before my flight to Vancouver, I plan to get to work piecing it all together. It won’t be complete or exhaustive but it is my form of processing so bear with me!

No comments: