Saturday, July 22, 2017

Sunday at Lemuel

Sunday, July 9
I wake up to the sound of rain. I reach over to check the time and seeing it’s only 6:15 a.m., I lay back down. Outside, tropical birds chirp excitedly in the trees. Rain in the desert is special indeed, and definitely something to sing about. The fresh scent of rain wafts through the screened door and I breathe it in.

Church starts at 9:30 a.m. and I listen as the congregation recites Psalm 23 in unison.
Hearing it in Creole I automatically translate the words in my head.

The Lord is my Shepherd; I shall not want. 
He maketh me to lie down in green pastures: He leadeth me beside the still waters. 
He restoreth my soul: He leadeth me in the paths of righteousness for His name's sake. 
Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil: for Thou art with me; Thy rod and Thy staff they comfort me.
Thou preparest a table before me in the presence of mine enemies: Thou anointest my head with oil; my cup runneth over. 
Surely goodness and mercy shall follow me all the days of my life: and I will dwell in the house of the Lord for ever. 

It’s both surprising and heartwarming when I hear them sing my trip theme song “Nearer Still Nearer” in Creole. Knowing God is with us and He loves and cares for us is such a great comfort. 

After teaching us a Creole hymn, we sing several Psalters for them. Then our team heads to the gazebo for a time of Bible Study with missionary Brad, since they can’t understand the Creole Bible teaching. 

Together we read the story of Jonah and then discuss different aspects of it. We talk about how the story isn’t really about Jonah at all, but really about the grace and loving kindness of God. We also talk about how the Ninevites needed saving, but so do we. Have you looked to Jesus, our only hope, and the only name given under heaven whereby we must be saved?

Look unto Me, and be ye saved, all the ends of the earth: for I am God, and there is none else. Isaiah 45:22

No comments: