Monday, April 16, 2018

You Can Lay It Down

This week I received some news that hurt. My initial reaction was to push it away, pretend like it didn’t matter, try not to think about it. 

But as the day went on and the thoughts started creeping past my defences, the emotions started to bubble up inside me. 

Hurt. 
Anger. 
Pain. 
Frustration. 

The more I thought about it, the worse I felt -and the harder it was to let it go. 

Finally I turned to God and passionately prayed the lyrics of Oh My Soul that kept coming to mind. 

“I’m not strong enough, 
I can’t take anymore.” 

I may have said that out loud a few times too. 

But then, when I was finally silent, I heard the next few lines of the song. “You can lay it down, You can lay it down..” and “Let Him show you how you can lay this down.” ( J. M Hall & B. Hems) 

So, after much inward turmoil and battle, I did. 

I gave it all to God. 

And you know what happened? 

God did exactly what He promised. He took my pain and anger and bitterness and resentment and replaced it with His peace - the kind that passes all understanding. (Phil 4:7) 

I’m still amazed as I type this how, just a few days ago I was so upset and how now I have such incredible peace about the situation. He really does exactly what He says. He always keeps His promises. How great is our GOD!

Marvellous are Thy works; and that my soul knoweth right well. Psalm 139:14b

No comments: