Tuesday, April 3, 2018

The Narrow Way

It was just a silly Subway coupon -  but the temptation I struggled with because of it was intense. 

It was spring break. The boys were home from school and Jason was in the Philippines. Since Dad was gone, I was even more determined to make it a special time for the boys so I planned play dates and outings, we built Legos and played at parks. We went swimming, spent a fun, rainy day at the beach and all in all had a grand time. 

As I was browsing through a coupon book one spring break morning I came across a Subway coupon. The boys and I loved Subway so I was happy to find one only to discover when reading the fine print that it wasn’t valid in Chilliwack. 

Now the coupons themselves could be ripped out and since it didn’t give any locations on the individual coupons I thought about just trying to use it anyway. “They could always say no.” I thought to myself. “Isn’t Subway, Subway? Why does it matter? It’s no big deal. Just try it, you never know, they might accept it.” 

It was so tempting. 

But then I remembered. 

I remembered my meeting with God early each morning. And even though I might be able to convince myself it wasn’t dishonest to use the coupon, God is perfect and the Bible says He desires truth in the inmost parts. 

Still I struggled. Did it really matter? No one would care. But I knew God did. And I knew that if I loved Him, and I did, I would obey Him too. No matter what. 

Although His ways seemed impossibly narrow sometimes. He loved me and wanted truth in my inmost parts. 

So I relented. I put the coupon back in the book and took the boys to Subway anyway and paid full price. Because I knew, I knew that no sin, no matter how tempting was worth feeling separation from God over. 

And I know that if I did sin and I confessed my sin to God that He was faithful and just to forgive me of my sin and cleanse me from all unrighteousness, because of Jesus’ perfect sacrifice on the cross, but why would I knowingly do anything to hurt God? 

And God knows us. He knows our frame, He remembers we are dust, and He is so patient and loving He reminded me who I was. I was the daughter of the One who was richer than all the richest people in the world combined. He loved me and gave Himself for me. He always provided everything I needed. I didn’t need to live like a pauper when my Father was the King of the world! I didn’t need to let a Subway coupon tempt me when my Father owned the cattle on a thousand hills and with His Son He freely gives us all things! 

And even when we are fickle and struggle over the silliest things God loves and leads and teaches and blesses. 

What a great God. What a loving Father. 

The next week what was in my church mailbox but a coupon book? And of course, it had the correct Subway coupons in it.

No comments: