Thursday, March 30, 2017

You Shall Know The Truth

“Mom, you know what we are learning about in Bible class at school?” I turn to look at the animated face of my oldest son and smile. “No. What are you learning about?”

“We are learning about how the Israelites sinned and were bitten by snakes and then how God commanded Moses to make a brazen serpent and all the people had to do was look at the serpent and they were healed. And you know what? Even if the people doubted and just kind of peeked over their shoulder, even then they were healed! All they had to do was look! I’m going to listen to the story again!” I watch as he runs off, finds the iPad, turns on the audio Bible app and soon is raptly listening to every detail of the story.

Listening to him brings back memories of the first time I really read an account of that exact same story in the New Testament.

And as Moses lifted up the serpent in the wilderness, even so must the Son of man be lifted up: That whosoever believeth in Him should not perish, but have eternal life. For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.
For God sent not his Son into the world to condemn the world; but that the world through him might be saved.
John 3:14-17

I remember reading it over again and thinking to myself, is this really true? Can it be that simple? Just look to Jesus and be saved?

Spurgeon asked the same question and says this of his conversion experience:

"I know that I, too, once belied Him; when I felt my sins to be a great burden I said within myself, ‘I will go to Jesus, but perhaps He will reject me.’ I thought I had much to feel and to do to make myself ready for Him, and I therefore did this and that, but the more I did the worse I became. I was like the woman who spent her money on physicians and did not get better, but rather grew worse. I fully understood that there was life in a look at Christ, that all I needed was to simply trust, to come as I was and put my case into His dear pierced hands, and leave it there, yet I still did not think it could be so; it seemed so simple—how could it be true? I thought when I came to Him He would say to me, ‘Sinner, you have rejected Me so long, you have mocked Me by saying prayers which you did not feel; you have been a hypocrite and joined with God’s people in singing My praises when you did not praise Me in your heart.’ I thought He would chide me and bring ten thousand sins to my remembrance. Instead of that, it took only a word, and it was all done. I looked to Him, the burden was gone." (C.H. Spurgeon)

“The method is simply a word from Him and a look from you, and all is done. You have only to trust in Jesus and you are saved; made a new creature in an instant; set on your feet again to start a new life with a new power within you, which shall conquer sin.” (C.H. Spurgeon)

Maybe you too think it can't be that simple. Yet every day brings us one day closer to eternity. Don’t you want to know the truth for yourself before you die? Then be like the Bereans and study scripture for yourself!  These were more noble than those in Thessalonica, in that they received the word with all readiness of mind, and searched the scriptures daily, whether those things were so. Acts 17:11

"The turning point in my life was when I decided I wanted to know the truth, even if it was inconvenient.” R. Warren

“Truth can be discovered, but first we have to have an attitude of openness that says, “I want the truth more than anything else.” Once you choose that attitude, you can discover the truth." R. Warren

God’s Word is the truth.

Then said Jesus to those Jews which believed on Him, If ye continue in My Word, then are ye my disciples indeed; And ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you free. John 8:31-2

Look unto me, and be ye saved, all the ends of the earth: for I am God, and there is none else. Isaiah 45:22

And He said unto them, Go ye into all the world, and preach the gospel to every creature. He that believeth and is baptized shall be saved; but he that believeth not shall be damned. Mark 16:15-16

For How shall we escape, if we neglect so great salvation; Hebrews 2:3

No comments: