Saturday, March 11, 2017

In Haiti Again

March 10, 2017
3:3o a.m.
Even at this early hour, the city is alive. New York is known for this and has therefore been labelled ‘the city that never sleeps’.  The lineups for security inside the airport are enormous already, so I’m thankful we’ve given ourselves enough time before our flight to Port au Prince departs.

5:50 a.m.
On the airplane I take advantage of an empty seat beside me. Curling up, I quickly doze off. Two hours later I wake up to a stewardess offering water and hot tea. I switch with Jason and now let him have a turn to sleep.

9:25 a.m.
Jason is awake so I now move to the window seat. Our airplane is descending and I’m catching my first glimpses of Haiti. 


604 days have passed since I’ve seen her last. Looking down at the familiar landscape, feelings of home rush over me. It unsettles me. How can I feel at home in two different places? You’re not home yet, I remind myself, thinking of the familiar words of Phil 3:20 For our conversation (citizenship) is in heaven; from whence also we look for the Saviour our Lord Jesus Christ:

Understanding that we are pilgrims on this earth and don’t need to feel like we truly belong anywhere has been surprisingly comforting for me over the years. Yet, the familiarity of all that is Haiti draws me in as our airplane makes its final descent. It feels so good to be back!

Stepping out of the airport doors, my senses are quickly overwhelmed. The sun burns bright, a wave of humidity hits us, baggage handlers and taxi drivers vie for our attention and charcoal and diesel fumes attack my nostril. Greeting our faithful taxi bus driver DieJuste, I’m surprised how easily Creole words flow from my mouth. We quickly exit the capital city via the main road. Bombarded by the team members with a hundred questions about what they all see, I do my best to answer.


3 hours later, we make our first stop for lunch. We are driving up to Anse Rouge which will take us at least 5 hours. In a small oasis boutique hotel, we soak up the beauty of the Caribbean while munching on chicken sandwiches and fries. 

Needing to reach our destination before sunset, we do not linger long. Reaching Gonaives we switch from our minibus to an old-run down school bus.


The paved road quickly turns to dirt with deep ruts and awkward bumps. Palm trees are replaced by thorn bushes and cacti as we travel on to Haiti’s drought stricken north.



5 gallon water bottles roll at our feet as the lose bus seats jar and occasionally throw us completely off balance. Waves of dry soil and filth pour through the windows and we soon sport dust tans. Thankful that my sunglasses are keeping most of the dust out of my contact lenses, I simply enjoy the ride.

The sun begins to set as we barrel on and I marvel at its great beauty once again. 


Picking up speed we race along to reach the compound before it is completely dark. We cheer when it is finally in sight. The Lemuel staff is there to greet us and it is fun to get re-acquainted.

After a dinner of pumpkin soup and bread we gather together for a quick team meeting before stumbling our way to bed. Bedtime routines take a little longer as we learn how to work oil lamps, bucket showers and latrines.

That night, brushing a stray bug off my pillow, I fall asleep in seconds.

No comments: