Thursday, January 7, 2016

Jesus is Enough

I knew it could happen; this enchantment of living in the land of plenty.
God Himself warned the Israelites about it in Deuteronomy when they entered the Promised Land.

 For the Lord thy God bringeth thee into a good land, a land of brooks of water, of fountains and depths that spring out of valleys and hills;
A land of wheat, and barley, and vines, and fig trees, and pomegranates; a land of oil olive, and honey;
A land wherein thou shalt eat bread without scarceness, thou shalt not lack any thing in it; a land whose stones are iron, and out of whose hills thou mayest dig brass.
When thou hast eaten and art full, then thou shalt bless the Lord thy God for the good land which he hath given thee.
Beware that thou forget not the Lord thy God, in not keeping his commandments, and his judgments, and his statutes, which I command thee this day: Deut 8:7-11

And although I knew it could happen to me too, transitioning from the Third World to North America, it crept in so slowly, so sneakily, that I didn’t realize what was happening till it smacked me in the face.
I was falling for it.
The old lie.
That if only I had this, or looked like that, or did this, I would be happy.
Satisfied.
If only, just that one more thing, then I would stop wanting.
But it was a lie.
The next thing was never enough.
It filled me like junk food and left a stomachache in its wake.
And then, not long afterwards, I would feel the emptiness again,
My search for the next best thing would continue and the cycle would repeat.
And repeat.
And repeat.

Just yesterday it hit me in the face.
I had believed a lie.
That somehow, something other than Christ could fill the void in my heart.
But it was a lie.
The truth is that Jesus IS enough.
God is enough.
If I have Him, I have all I need.

Though flesh and heart should faint and fail,
The Lord will ever be
The strength and portion of my heart,
My God eternally.”
Psalter 203:4 (based on Psalm 73:26)

The truth is: “For what shall it profit a man, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?” Mark 8:36

The truth is that: The Lord is my shepherd; I shall not want. Ps 23:1

He wants me to stay focused and seek His kingdom and His righteousness and then, when I keep that as my center, everything else will fall into its correct place.
Matthew 6:3 Seek ye first the kingdom of God and his righteousness and all these things shall be added unto you.

Only He can truly satisfy us and fill the void in our hearts and lives.
O satisfy us early with thy mercy; that we may rejoice and be glad all our days. Psalm 90:14

Fullness of joy is only in His presence.
Thou wilt shew me the path of life: in thy presence is fulness of joy; at thy right hand there are pleasures for evermore. Ps 16:11 

Wholeness. Joy. Contentment. Peace. Everything our hearts desire, is only found in Him. 

No comments: