Thursday, January 18, 2018

It's All About Jesus

This morning I read this quote while scrolling through my social media newsfeed:

“You are the average of the five people you spend the most time with.” Jim Rohn 

Although I wasn’t sure I agreed with the statement, it did get me thinking about who did I spend time with? I also decided to do a little research and see what the Bible had to say about this. 

Some of the Bible verses I found were these: 

He that walketh with wise men shall be wise: but a companion of fools shall be destroyed. Proverbs 13:20 

Be not deceived: evil communications corrupt good manners. 1 Corinthians 15:33 

Forsake the foolish, and live; and go in the way of understanding. Proverbs 9:6 

Then I thought about who were the five people that I spent the most time with. I immediately thought of those who I lived with. My husband and three sons. 

Have they affected who I am? 

 Yes. 

Because of my husband, I have become a more logical, levelheaded thinker. I want to say smarter too, just because I do believe and like the fact that he is very intelligent and I hope that some of that intelligence rubbed off on me! Also, I know for a fact, that in the eleven years we’ve been married I’ve become a much better communicator. I remember when we were first married and had a disagreement about something I would just shut down. I would walk away from the problem, try to bury my thoughts and emotions and refuse to talk about them. (Now if that’s you too, just know that, that kind of behavior gets you absolutely nowhere.) But overtime, I learned from Jason to articulate my feelings and frustrations and discuss them calmly, which was much more likely to lead to a quick resolution.

Jayden our oldest son is a deep thinker with a tender heart. I know that his sweet deepness has made a big difference in my life. 

We sometimes call Justin, our middle son, “Opa.” He’s the super responsible, little old man in a five year olds' body, making sure all the i’s are dotted and the t’s are crossed. I see a lot of myself in him. 

Alexander is a tiny, cheerful boy with a zest for life that far surpasses his diminutive stature. Every morning I smile in anticipation as I crack open his bedroom door because I know I will be greeted by a belly laugh or an exuberant shout of joy. He makes my day brighter. 

But then I thought about Who really had the greatest influence on my life and I realized it wasn’t my husband or my kids or my friends. 

It was JESUS. 

The Lamb of God (John 1:29), the Saviour of the World (John 4:42), the Prince of Peace (Isaiah 9:6), our Counselor (Isaiah 9:6), our High Priest (Hebrews 4:15), our Friend (John 15:15) 

The One whose feet I sit at every morning, (Luke 10:39) whose Spirit abides in me (1 Corinthians 3:16) who is always with me (Matthew 28:20) and who never leaves or forsakes me (Deut 31:6). 

The One who transforms me by the renewing of my mind. (Romans 12:2) And the One into whose image we are being changed into. (2 Corinthians 3:18) 

 The One who gives me the water of life that becomes a well of water in me springing up into everlasting life. (John 14:4) 

The One who lights my candle and enlightens my darkness. (Psalm 18:28) And then, in turn, HE makes me the light that not only gives light to all who are in the house but also gives light to the world. (Matthew 5:14-15) 

Jesus. 

Is that who you are spending your time with? 

 It matters. 

See then that ye walk circumspectly, not as fools, but as wise, Redeeming the time, because the days are evil. Ephesians 5:15-16

No comments: