Monday, January 8, 2018

A Resolution Worth Keeping:

Ever since I was old enough to hold a pencil I have loved writing. From age five onwards I filled papers and notebooks with thoughts and ideas and stories and poems and even recipes. I also kept diaries and journals and for many years wrote New Year’s resolutions. These included drinking more water, eating less chocolate, not fighting so much with my sister and being kinder; but inevitably, a week into the New Year I would have broken them all. 

As I was thinking about New Year’s resolutions these past few weeks, there was one that I decided was really worthwhile keeping and I had been doing it for ten years now. 

Time with God. 

Sitting at His feet. 

Praying to Him and then listening as He spoke to Me through His Word and by His Spirit. 

Our wedding texts was Matthew 6:33 
But seek ye first the kingdom of God, and His righteousness; and all these things shall be added unto you

If you only make one resolution this year, chose that one. 

When I started ten years ago during our first months in Haiti, I simply found an old tattered notebook and began to write down Bible verses that I had memorized as a child and as a teenager. Then I would read them over and over again until they were very clear again in my mind and in my heart. 

Psalm 119:11 says: Thy word have I hid in mine heart, that I might not sin against Thee

Over time more and more verses or snippets of verses came to mind and I would type them into Google and find the references and copy them down correctly. Over time I started reading books of the Bible and writing down any verses that stood out to me. So I filled journal after journal. 

When I shared them with a friend in Haiti she encouraged me by saying: “If the God of the universe is speaking to you, should you not take notes?” 

Did you know that reading the word of God is more important/worthwhile than eating food? Job says in Job 23:12b: “I have esteemed the words of His mouth more than my necessary food.” And Jesus said: “It is written, Man shall not live by bread alone, but by every word that proceedeth out of the mouth of God.” Matthew 4:4b 

And did you know this about the Word of God? 
The grass withereth, the flower fadeth: but the word of our God shall stand for ever. Isaiah 40:8 

I think it's definitely worth spending our time reading the eternal Word of God.

Solomon writes in Proverbs 2:1-6 
My son, (My daughter) if thou wilt receive my words, and hide my commandments with thee; So that thou incline thine ear unto wisdom, and apply thine heart to understanding; Yea, if thou criest after knowledge, and liftest up thy voice for understanding; If thou seekest her as silver, and searchest for her as for hid treasures; Then shalt thou understand the fear of the Lord, and find the knowledge of God. For the Lord giveth wisdom: out of His mouth cometh knowledge and understanding. 

And I’m not writing this so that you feel guilty that you don’t spend time at the feet of Jesus, but rather to encourage you - for in His presence is fullness of joy at His right hand there are pleasures forevermore! 

Thou wilt shew me the path of life: in Thy presence is fulness of joy; at Thy right hand there are pleasures for evermore. Psalm 16:11 

Ernest Boyer, Jr says: “God is not a belief to which you give your assent. God becomes a reality whom you know intimately, meet everyday, one whose strength becomes your strength, whose love, your love. Live this life of the presence of God long enough and when someone asks you, “Do you believe there is a God?” you may find yourself answering, “No, I do not believe there is a God. I know there is a God.”

For I know Whom I have believed, (2 Timothy 1:12b) 

Mary also knew the value of sitting at the feet of Jesus: 
And she had a sister called Mary, which also sat at Jesus' feet, and heard His word. But Martha was cumbered about much serving, and came to him, and said, Lord, dost Thou not care that my sister hath left me to serve alone? bid her therefore that she help me. And Jesus answered and said unto her, Martha, Martha, thou art careful and troubled about many things: But one thing is needful: and Mary hath chosen that good part, which shall not be taken away from her. Luke 10:39-42 

Just to know Him and to make Him known – It is enough. 

But they, when they were departed, spread abroad His fame in all that country. Matthew 9:31

No comments: