Thursday, November 9, 2017

The Infinite God

When I was younger I used to believe that because God is sovereign and the Bible talks about Him drawing, choosing and electing His people, it meant that the gospel actually said this: 

And as Moses lifted up the serpent in the wilderness, even so must the Son of Man be lifted up: That whosoever (the elect) believeth in Him should not perish, but have eternal life. For God so loved the world, (the elect) that He gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever (the elect) believeth in Him should not perish, but have everlasting life. John 3:14-16 

Since then, by the grace of God, I have learned to take God at His word and not to tamper with it. 

God is so incredibly great that everything we know about Him is only a mere whisper; the fringe of His garment; and the edges of His ways. 

Lo, these are parts of His ways: but how little a portion is heard of Him? but the thunder of his power who can understand? Job 26:14 

The same God who appeared to Job out of the whirl wind, appeared to Elijah in a still small voice. (Job 38:1a, 1 Kings 19:11-12) 

Now, just because we believe one truth about God and His word it should never cancel out or change another truth. 

For I am the Lord, I change not; Malachi 3:6a

Can our finite minds understand and infinite God? 

No. 

For My thoughts are not your thoughts, neither are your ways My ways, saith the Lord. For as the heavens are higher than the earth, so are My ways higher than your ways, and My thoughts than your thoughts. Isaiah 55:8-9 

To try to explain how much higher His thoughts are God uses the biggest distance we know about; the distance between heaven and earth. And if we take a moment to think about it can we really fathom that distance? 

Just because in our minds God’s sovereignty contradicts the free invitations of the gospel, doesn’t mean it does. 

"Great mysteries are in the Book of God of necessity; for how can the infinite God so speak that all His thoughts can be grasped by finite man? I know many very decent people who seem to have resolved never to come to Christ till they can understand how the doctrine of election is consistent with the free invitations of the gospel. I might just as well determine never to eat a morsel of bread till it has been explained to me how it is that God keeps me alive, and yet I must eat to live. 

Here let me add a warning against tampering with the Word of God. No habit can be more ruinous to the soul. It is cool, contemptuous impertinence to sit down and correct your Maker, and it tends to make the heart harder than the nether millstone." C. Spurgeon 

For I testify unto every man that heareth the words of the prophecy of this book, If any man shall add unto these things, God shall add unto him the plagues that are written in this book: Revelations 22:18 

Ye shall not add unto the word which I command you, neither shall ye diminish ought from it, that ye may keep the commandments of the Lord your God which I command you. Deut 4:2 

The gospel is glad tidings of great joy, which is for us and for our children and should be shared with all who we come in contact with. 

And the angel said unto them, Fear not: for, behold, I bring you good tidings of great joy, which shall be to all people. For unto you is born this day in the city of David a Saviour, which is Christ the Lord. Luke 2:10-11 

And He (Jesus) said unto them, Go ye into all the world, and preach the gospel to every creature. He that believeth and is baptized shall be saved; but he that believeth not shall be damned. Mark 16:15-16

No comments: