Wednesday, September 21, 2016

Joy in Abiding

“You can come over anytime!” I tell my friend as I say goodbye to her on our front step. “I don’t get out much!” I add jokingly, but it is true. Other than church, Bible study and groceries I find it easier to simply stay home with our boys.  And maybe from the world’s perspective my life may seem boring, ordinary, but that couldn’t be farther from the truth!  What joy and contentment can be found simply abiding in Christ, walking with Him everyday and following His directions! No wealth, fame, excitement or anything else in the world can compare to finding my daily contentment, peace, hope, joy, and love in Him!

Jesus says in John 10:10b I am come that they might have life, and that they might have it more abundantly.

Spurgeon says “There is no joy in this world like union with Christ. The more we can feel it, the happier we are.”

Jesus says in John 15:5 I am the vine, ye are the branches: He that abideth in me, and I in him, the same bringeth forth much fruit: for without me ye can do nothing. And Paul writes in Galatians 5:22-23 But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, longsuffering, gentleness, goodness, faith, meekness, temperance: against such there is no law.

How do you abide in Christ? James 4:8 says Draw night to God, and He will draw nigh to you.  Psalm 86:12 says I will praise thee, O Lord my God, with all my heart: and I will glorify thy name for evermore. And Proverbs 3:5-6 says Trust in the Lord with all thine heart; and lean not unto thine own understanding. In all thy ways acknowledge him, and he shall direct thy paths.

Lately God’s been impressing on me that it only takes a small spark to start a great fire. You don’t have to have any great talents, or be special in the world’s eyes to be used by Him to draw others to Him. Jesus says in Matthew 4:19b Follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men. And how exciting it is when God allows you to play a small part in drawing others to Him and you gain spiritual brothers and sisters! Jesus says in Luke 15:7a I say unto you, that likewise joy shall be in heaven over one sinner that repenteth,

And finally, abiding in Him we can look ahead with confidence. And now, little children, abide in Him; that, when he shall appear, we may have confidence, and not be ashamed before him at his coming.1 John 2:28 We don’t have to fear the future, instead as we abide in Him we long for the time when we will see Him face to face.

No comments: