Thursday, July 14, 2016

Glory to God!

I look up as I feel the first raindrops land on my face. I’d better hurry! Quick as a flash I plug in the extension cord and then start the weed eater. I really want to have the yard all done before Jason hopes to return tomorrow. Ignoring the water droplets that are now beginning to soak through my T-shirt I make quick work of clearing up the grass around the garden boxes. Right as I’m finishing it makes some strange noise and quits. I flip it over to see that its run out of string. Good timing! At least I’m finished! I quickly put it under cover and grab the lawn mower. As fast as I can I mow the final patches that I hadn’t finished this morning; then emptying the grass clipping in the compost bin I quickly park the lawn mower back in the shed.

Noticing a few stray weeds in my garden I slip on my garden gloves and get to work. Not minding the rain now, I let the wet drops cool my warm face. I know it doesn’t have to look perfect, but I still want everything to look nice for Jason when he comes home. Lately he’s taken over the yard work, but I didn’t want him to come home after 3 weeks to knee-deep grass and weeds!

Just today, I had bought his favorite food and snacks and stocked the fridge and pantry so he could just come home and relax! I really can’t wait to have him home again!

Looking up from the dirt between my gloved fingers I suddenly notice a beautiful double rainbow.  


Looking at it I’m reminded of God’s covenant promise in Genesis that He would never again destroy the earth with water. How awesome to still see that same token in the sky today! It’s like I can almost hear His voice say, “I do set my bow in the cloud, and it shall be for a token of a covenant between me and the earth.”(Gen 9:13)

Standing in wonder, I’m reminded of my recent devotional study on our purpose in life; one of them being to bring glory to God. C.S. Lewis said. “In commanding us to glorify Him, God is inviting us to enjoy Him.”  “God wants our worship to be motivated by love, thanksgiving and delight, not duty." (R. Warren) J. Piper notes, "God is most glorified in us when we are most satisfied in Him.”

And it’s true, I really feel like I’ve been looking to God for everything lately, especially these last three weeks when I haven’t had Jason to lean on. God gives me joy and peace and wisdom. He’s the one I turn to when I struggle. He refocuses me time and time again. 

Earlier today when I was wandering around Walmart with my 3 boys doing my grocery shopping I was suddenly reminded of the words: and afterwards….into glory. But I couldn’t remember what that middle word was! Was it lead me into glory? No, that wasn’t it! Finally I remembered! It was receive me into glory! How beautiful it is that when our journey on earth is over that God will receive us into glory! (Psalm 73:24)

And how awesome it is to glorify Him here during our short time on earth!
R. Warren says:  “Worship is far more than praising, singing and praying to God. Worship is a lifestyle of enjoying God, loving Him, and giving ourselves to be used for His purpose. The Bible says, yield yourselves unto God, as those that are alive from the dead, and your members as instruments of righteousness unto God. Romans 6:13b. When you use your life for God’s glory, everything you do can become an act of worship."

No comments: