Friday, April 28, 2017

To Him be the Glory

This story has been sitting in my notebook for weeks. Half written. Partial sentences. Unfinished. 

To be honest, I’ve been resisting writing it. I know that God is wanting me to share; to be transparent, but I’d rather not. 

But then He reminds me of Jonah. 

When my oldest son was a toddler his favorite story was the story of Jonah. So we read that one a lot. He liked the excitement of the big storm, the intrigue of the big fish that swallowed Jonah, and the wonder of how after three days the fish vomited Jonah onto the dry land. 

What struck me about the story, however, was the embarrassment of it all. Did Jonah really think he could run away from God? And what about His anger with God over sparing the Ninevites? 

But it displeased Jonah exceedingly, and he was very angry. And he prayed unto the Lord, and said, I pray thee, O Lord, was not this my saying, when I was yet in my country? Therefore I fled before unto Tarshish: for I knew that thou art a gracious God, and merciful, slow to anger, and of great kindness, and repentest thee of the evil. Therefore now, O Lord, take, I beseech thee, my life from me; for it is better for me to die than to live. Then said the Lord, Doest thou well to be angry? Jonah 4:1-4 

Right through to the end, there is nothing commendable written about Jonah. Yet God even takes the bad and used it for His good. Did you know that Jesus used the story of Jonah as a sign for His own resurrection? 

Then certain of the scribes and of the Pharisees answered, saying, Master, we would see a sign from thee. But he answered and said unto them, An evil and adulterous generation seeketh after a sign; and there shall no sign be given to it, but the sign of the prophet Jonas: For as Jonas was three days and three nights in the whale's belly; so shall the Son of man be three days and three nights in the heart of the earth. Matthew 12:38-40 

On a side note: How many of us are like the Scribes and Pharisees and think in our hearts: “Unless God gives me a sign or miraculous experience to prove He has elected me I won’t believe in Jesus either?” 

But I digress. 

Back to the story of Jonah, the question is, would I be willing to write/share such a story about myself? 

My answer was ‘No’ until I realized that the story wasn’t really about Jonah at all. It’s a story about God. It’s His story. It reveals His character and His glory and when we look at it in that light, Jonah fades into the background, as should we. 

So here goes: 

It’s Wednesday, April 5 at 7:00 p.m. The house is a mess. The kids are racing around. None of us have eaten dinner and no one is remotely ready for bed. 

Jason had just arrived home the day before from Cambodia and to celebrate his return after a month of travel and to satisfy his cravings for a real North American hamburger we had planned to go out for dinner. But, as God would have it, an hour before we were planning to leave Jason’s pager goes off for a HAZMAT call. There was some kind of chemical spill at the local pool and help was needed. So we waited, hoping he would return in time so we could still go out for dinner but it wasn’t to be. 

Calling to apologize and suggest just making something quick at home instead, Jason soon hangs up to continue his work at the scene. Walking to my pantry, I marvel at the fact that I feel lighter. It suddenly doesn’t matter that we won’t go out to eat, or that I have to scramble to put something together for dinner, or that I will once again have to get all the kids ready for bed myself – and now even later than normal. The difference is, is that although Jason might not physically be here, he’s back home. Also, I don’t have to be the one to make the decision about waiting longer for him to come home or making something quickly at home – he did. Having someone to share the burden with feels good. 

Right then and there the Holy Spirit convicts me. If I had been feeling alone or burdened while Jason was away that meant one thing. I was a hearer and meditator of God’s Word, but not a doer. I was not giving Him my burdens. Instead I was for the hundredth time trying to do things on my own, by myself, in my own strength, my own way. 

And you know what the sad thing was: - I knew all the verses: 

Be careful (anxious) for nothing; but in every thing by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known unto God. And the peace of God, which passeth all understanding, shall keep your hearts and minds through Christ Jesus. Phil 4:6-7 

Come unto me, all ye that labour and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you, and learn of me; for I am meek and lowly in heart: and ye shall find rest unto your souls. Matthew 11:28-29 

Casting all your care upon him; for he careth for you. 1 Peter 5:7 

But just knowing the verses isn’t enough. 

The Bible says: But be ye doers of the word, and not hearers only, deceiving your own selves. James 1:22 

This means that I have to consciously, actively, daily, come to Jesus and give him my burdens. I should never try to carry them on my own but always take them to Him. He in turn will care for me, direct me and give me a peace that passes all human understanding.

Therefore whosoever heareth these sayings of mine, and doeth them, I will liken him unto a wise man, which built his house upon a rock: And the rain descended, and the floods came, and the winds blew, and beat upon that house; and it fell not: for it was founded upon a rock. Matthew 7:24-25 

If ye know these things, happy are ye if ye do them. John 13:17 

And of course I realize there is nothing wrong about being thankful that my husband is back home and the Bible even says: Two are better than one (Eccl 4:9a) But that doesn’t change the fact that the One we are to give our burdens, our cares, our anxieties and our struggles to, is God. He is the One who cares for us and teaches us and loves us. He disciplines us and points us time and again to His Word. How wonderful, how amazing, how great is our God! Mere words fall short. Now unto God and our Father be glory for ever and ever. Amen. Phil 4:20

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Beautiful Will...you are so honest to people and your God.....refreshing to read.

To a God be the glory!

Hugs.....Jenny